About Me

Auckland (formerly Denver), New Zealand
Born in Denver Colorado and grew up in Colorado Springs Colorado. I attended University of Kansas for Undergrad (Go Hawks!) and returned to Denver to attend U of Denver for law school. I moved to Auckland New Zealand on August 18, 2008 to be with my fiance. Email me at cdunn@law.du.edu

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Dempsey....the after quarantine story







After piles of paperwork, 6 vet appointments in the U.S., 6 vet appointments in NZ, and 5 visits in his 10ftx30ft kennel I was able to just walk into the quarantine facility and walk out with Dempsey this past Sunday! Demps was a bit apprehensive about where I was taking him and he slept the entire car ride home. He did a grand effort to ignore me most of yesterday but was thrilled to be able to roll around in the grass and lay in the sunshine OUTSIDE!

Demps had his first official NZ walk this morning and other than chasing Short-legs (if you saw this cat you'd know why we named it Short-legs) it was just like old times. However, after about a 10 minute walk he needs a nap for about 2 hours.... after 30 days of just lying around his stamina is down from his normal spaz time. This works out perfectly given my fitness level is barely above that of the caged animal I think we'll try and get into shape together. We may try and go explore the beach tonight for his first ocean induction. (dogs are allowed off leash on any public beach in Auckland after 6:30pm and before 9am during the summer)

In these pics he is enjoying his new yard with his new fence that poor Brendan slaved over the few days before his flight to Vancouver.
Dempsey loves being outside-Hates the houseflies and is following me around everywhere but overall he seems like the same dog. After the long flight and long kennel time I worried he'd be traumatized for life. But dogs may be better than humans in that once they have some food and regular company they forget all their worries. :-)



2 comments:

Nikki said...

I'm sure it is wonderful to have a little piece of home with you - Dempsey!

Unknown said...

Man, this blog sucks. This lady posts like once every three months.